Friday, May 16, 2008

Look, you can't believe your ears

All of our senses work in concert to enable the brain and intellect to experience the world. One of my pet peeves is seeing a performer make a face communicating their dissatisfaction with their performance. I thought it was just fine but their self disgust spoils it for me.
Hey man, acknowledging a sour note doesn't excuse it it makes it louder. Sorry, I hope you don't mined my mispelings.

The Scientific American Podcast 60-Second Psych, May 12th was about a study of the McGurk effect first published in Nature, 1976.

The McGurk effect is demonstrate with the use of this video clip. Please view the clip now before reading the rest of this entry.

What did you hear him say?

Now close your eyes and listen to the clip again.

What did he actually say?

Everything you know is wrong.

No comments: