Monday, April 6, 2009

Garlic Rosemary Chicken Brine

I brine all my grilled chicken for up to an hour before cooking. Before the brining process I trim the loose skin and all the fat with my kitchen scissors. Often, I air dry the chicken in the refrigerator for a while so that the skin is more crispy. Here is a new idea from ATK that I tested this weekend.
1/2 cup table salt
10 cloves garlic , unpeeled
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 quarts water

Combine salt, garlic, and rosemary in zipper-lock bag; seal, pressing out air. Pound with meat pounder or rolling pin until garlic cloves are crushed. Transfer mixture to large container or stockpot and stir in 2 cups hot tap water; let stand 10 minutes to release flavors. Add 1 1/2 quarts cold tap water and stir until salt is dissolved. Submerge chicken in brine and refrigerate 1 hour.

Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels.

No comments: