She used strawberry or raspberry JELL-O but I am using red (cherry) and green (lime) for more of a Christmas flair. In order to get both colors in the same cake layer I used the turkey baster to inject the jello into the cake instead of using the fork piercing method. We learned that the baster leaves large holes that don't fill with jello as the jello soaks into the cake.
- 1 9 x 13 inch cake pan
- 1 baked white cake (Betty Crocker SuperMoist Cake Mix; White), cooled
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 (3 ounce) package JELL-O Brand Gelatin, any red flavor
- 1 (3 ounce) package JELL-O Brand Gelatin, any green flavor
- 1 (8 ounce) container COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
1. Bake the cake as directed on the box.
2. Pierce cake with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.
3. Stir 1 cup of the boiling water into a bowl with the red gelatin. Do the same with the green gelatin in separate bowl. Stir both for about 2 minutes until completely dissolved.
4. Carefully pour red gelatin over 1 cake layer and green gelatin over second cake layer. Refrigerate 3 hours.
5. Dip 1 cake pan in warm water 10 seconds; unmold onto serving plate. Spread with about 1 cup of the whipped topping. Frost sides of cake with more Cool-Whip. Optional: leave cake and pan and just dump the Cool-Whip onto the top, spread thickly.
6. Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 1 hour.
7. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.