It is called an American potato salad because it has hard boiled eggs and mayonnaise.
Use red bliss potatoes because they are waxy and will not get mealy like a russet would. Boil them with the skins on because if you peel them they will tend to get water logged and bland.
When the potatoes are cooked let them cool so you can handle them without gloves. With a serrated knife, cut up the potatoes and dress with the vinegar, salt and pepper. Refrigerate to cool. [If you were to add the rest of the ingredients to the warm potatoes the mayo would melt and you'd get an oily mess.]
After the dressed potatoes are cool dump in the rest and mix to distribute evenly. Store in the refrigerator.
- 2 lbs red potatoes, boil for 30 minutes in skins until fork tender
- Cut potatoes into large chunks
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Toss 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Cool in refrigerator
- 1/4 cup sweet pickles, minced
- 1/4 red onion diced (2 tbsp)
- 3 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Before serving mix all of the above together
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped and sprinkled on top