Friday, November 13, 2009

Circle of Quilters

This week I am listening to Circle of Quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini. I am thoroughly enjoying it (currently half way through) and find that she effectively captures the pleasure and personal fulfillment of quilting.

The chapter about the Russ hits home. I have personally experienced the social bias and sexism he encountered. However, the quilt shop where I got started was very inviting and encouraging, not once did I feel unwelcome (mahalo! Mel and Margrit). After reading this chapter I think I may check out some Internet quilting bees when I get back into serious quilting again.

Some of the women in the book are a bit whiny such that I wish I could grab them and tell em' to brace up and move on, Fuggedaboudit!. But as Matt always says, "it's in the script." This is just effective storytelling that has sucked me in, allowing me to care about these women.

Ms. Chiaverini has over a dozen Elm Creek Quilts novels. I look forward to reading more.

No comments: