Thursday, November 19, 2009

Therapeutic devices

At the Pre-Op Total Joint Replacement class yesterday the PT showed us a CPM commonly used after knee surgery. Some doctors prescribe the CPM after hip replacement as well.

My surgeon does not use the CPM for either hip or knee replacement patients (in general). Recent studies do not find significant impact of using the device six weeks after surgery.

However, as I am a trained therapist myself I have identified a couple of external devices that could be advantageous to my particular surgical recovery.

Racing Wheel with foot pedals for the PS3. This along with the appropriate software can be used to measure pre-op and post-op automotive braking abilities.

The Tony Hawk Skateboard for the PS3. A new device and supporting software should develop balance and fine motor muscle control of the hips.

No comments: